We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Separation Anxiety in Children
Um My child won't leave me for a moment! We even go to the toilet together, screaming the moment I leave your eyes! ”You have heard these and similar sentences from the parents around you.
It is normal that children cannot be separated from the people they love and bond with, such as parents, carers or caregivers, grandmothers; but to some extent. Sometimes this inability to leave goes beyond normal separation in children anxiety disorder.
So what is that limit How to tell the difference between normal and problematic
What is Separation Anxiety / Anxiety Disorder?
The first condition to recognize a problem is to get to know it well. If you know what the problem is and details, it will recognize the symptoms and take the necessary action immediately.
Separation anxiety / What is anxiety disorder is one of the questions each parent should know the answer.
Anxiety disorder means the same as anxiety disorder
As the name implies, the high level of fear caused by the individual's idea of moving away from home, mother, father and the person or person responsible for his / her care; the individual social life, psychology moreover, it is more anxiety than normal.
In which periods is most common in children?
The fear of separation seen in infants aged between 8 months and 1.5 years is normal and is a temporary condition since it is one of the developmental characteristics of the period.
Children 3-5 years It is normal for children to be seen before starting pre-school education, starting primary school in children over 6 years of age and at any stage of adolescence.
However, if there is no decrease in anxiety symptoms after 2 months, support from a qualified psychologist should be obtained and the process should be kept under control.
Which Behaviors Can Be A Sign of Separation-Induced Anxiety Disorder?
It is one of the biggest mistakes that some parents think that their children do not want to get away from them ondan She loves me so much, she cries so much and she cannot do without me! M
These behaviors are an example of negative attachment and symptom of anxiety disorder It should not be ignored. Behaviors that may be the most common symptom of anxiety disorder in children;
- Believing that bad things will happen to him / her when he / she goes away from the person he / she loves and tells negative scenarios about it,
- Fears of sleeping, being separated from the person with negative attachment even while sleeping,
- Not wanting her favorite chocolate to avoid leaving her mother and father away and avoiding behaviors that may cause separation,
- Refusal to attend daycare or school,
- Concern about disappearance and kidnapping,
- High levels of anxiety may sometimes cause physical symptoms such as chills, headache, difficulty breathing, high fever, nausea, and abdominal pain. symptom of anxiety disorder emergence as
Treatment of Anxiety Disorder in Children Who Cannot Be Separated
Your child has one or more symptoms of separation anxiety disorder; trauma to a person or place Although more than 8 weeks If it is still going on, it should be taken to a specialist psychologist, if necessary, to a psychiatrist.
Treatment of anxiety disorder if not done in time, the child may develop other anxiety by generalizing fear and reflecting it on other situations and objects. In order to avoid this possibility, specialists usually try to solve the problem by applying one or more of the following treatment methods.Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Method
Today, it is one of the most widely used and accepted methods in the world. Cognitive behavioral approach is the reason why the child's behavior is based on emotions and to change a behavior in the desired direction. feelings before and belief system swings that it should change.
Based on this, cognitive behavioral therapy is a method of anxiety disorder that aims to eliminate undesired behavior by changing the emotions causing separation anxiety.Family Therapy
It is an effective therapy that involves not only the child but also other members of the family. Family therapy provides guidance on other members of the family's perspective, approach, behavior and attitudes towards the child, and effectively supports treatment.Game Therapy
Children are often unaware of problem behaviors. So unhealthy behavior of the child, he does not know that this action is wrong. Nor would it be right to expect the child to express why he did something he did without realizing it, and what triggered his fears.
Therefore, to go to the source of the problem, the child should be kept under observation and natural conditions should be observed to obtain healthy results.
One of the environments in which a child behaves most naturally, opens himself up and reflects his emotions to a friend, a toy car or a baby, is the playtime. Therefore anxiety disorder treatment One of the best methods for the game is game therapy.Anxiety Disorder Medicines
Your specialist psychiatrist in cases where CBT, family therapy and play therapy do not suffice for your child anxiety disorder medications use. The anxiety disorder medications you use with your child should be given under your control and should not be kept out of the reach of the child.
What Parents Should Do to Support Separation Anxiety Treatment
Whether you need help from an expert or try to deal with the process yourself; the family's approach to children in this process is very important. Separation anxiety children living in this process;
- If your baby is tired and hungry, it increases the level of anxiety, so try to match the time of separation when the stomach is not full and tired.
- Apply the systematic desensitization method. First, short-term and short-distance destinations to go to experience the separation. Then let your time get used to it by extending your time apart a little more.
- Do not extend the moment of separation; Say good-bye, give a warm kiss and tell him that you love him away immediately. It will make it harder for you to turn your back and make conversations to comfort him. will increase the stress level.
- Before you dramatize the situation, tell him that you miss him, but that you'll be next to each other again soon.
- In the absence of fear, leave the person or place with a loved object or toy to remind him or her. This object will make him feel better and reduce the symptoms of separation anxiety.
- Never lie about where you are going and when you will be away from your child. Always be honest. If you say that I will come in an hour early and stay away for a long time, the situation of the child's separation anxiety will increase even more.
- When you get back together, make good plans about what you will do.
- Empathize with your child and don't blame him for his thoughts.
- Will increase your fears content movie, cartoon and from books stay away.
Separation in children anxiety Disorder is a common case, but is often seen in transitions between short periods and certain periods. If the problem does not diminish over time or even progresses over time, it should be taken to a specialist doctor without delay.